Sunday, April 22, 2012

Time for the ribbons!

The buds are getting taller, and that means it's time to put in the reflective ribbons. The robins and blackbirds seem to think that Iris buds are quite nice perches. Except that they break off when they sit on them.  So every year I get my pile of bamboo stakes tied with reflective ribbons and stick them all over the iris beds. I don't really like the way it looks. I'd rather have just the iris buds and blooms. But without the ribbons there would me many less buds. Already I found broken stems from the fat birds!
 If you look closely you can see them. You can buy reflective ribbon from garden centers and online etc, but I found some curling ribbon  in the clearance at WalMart! It had the reflective design and it works too. Doesn't last quite as long and isn't as wide, and maybe isn't as flashy if you have stubborn birds, but it seems to be working for me.  I've also used old CD's on top of my wire plant stakes. The ones that have a circle at the top to hold the plant. If you slide the CD up from the bottom until you get to the bend at the top,  you can keep it from sliding back off with a clothespin.


A couple new bloomers today with the sun and warmer temps. But what I'm seeing mostly is the stems stretching up more quickly. In another week I think there will be blooms all over.
Here is the first of my Intermediate Iris to bloom, Season Ticket. Look Closely! All of them have FOUR FALLS!  Four pretty bright beards on each. I just love those dark beards on the bright golden yellow.
 In the pic above you can see the group is all alone right now!





That's about it, I'm feeling very lazy today.  We did a bit of yard work but came in early and have been wasting time on our computers. Need to stop that!   Dave did stop on the way out to give our stray kitty Scratch some lovin. And he does love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment